I’m having a sewer back-up - what should I do?

Please call a plumber. Most sewer backups are service line related, which are not the responsibility of Southgate. If a plumber determines the backup is caused by a blockage in the main line, contact Southgate immediately.

If the property is not draining wastewater to the sewer system and wastewater continues to back-up into the structure or large quantities of wastewater (more than that produced by the property itself) continues to back-up into the structure, contact Southgate immediately at 303-779-0261.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I contact regarding water or sewer bills?
2. I am experiencing low or no water pressure - who do I call?
3. I’m having a sewer back-up - what should I do?
4. My water is discolored/brown - what should I do?
5. My water smells - what is the cause?
6. What is the quality of my drinking water? How safe is my drinking water?
7. A service technician just told me that our water or sewer service line is broken. Who is responsible for the repair?
8. What is Xeriscaping?